Leadership Advisory Board Awards
The award application is now closed.
The Association of University Anesthesiologists (AUA) is delighted to present two awards, the Mentoring Award and the IDEAL Award managed by the Leadership Advisory Board (LAB). Any member of the AUA can submit the name of individuals for consideration for these awards. Members are also encouraged to self-nominate.
Awards will be presented during the 2024 AUA Annual Meeting in St. Louis!
Leadership Advisory (LAB) Awards Include:
Awarded to an AUA member in recognition of their commitment to mentorship and sponsorship of faculty members in anesthesiology. Letter of nomination should describe the details of extent of mentoring and sponsoring activities, and their outcomes for the mentees, such as scholarship, grant funding, promotions, leadership positions. Letters of support from past or current mentees are needed. Evidence of longitudinal mentoring practice is encouraged. In addition, presence of a mentoring chain linking nominee with their mentees, who in turn are mentors should be highlighted when possible.
IDEAL Award – Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Acceptance, and Leadership Award
Awarded to an AUA member in recognition of their commitment and leadership to promote diversity, equity, inclusivity, and belonging at the local or national level. A positive impact on healthcare outcomes is the ultimate goal. In addition, tangible impact on diversity and equity metrics of the healthcare workforce such as promotions, recruitment, retention, professional development is sought. Evidence of community service and its impact should be provided when available. Other supporting evidence such as publications, speaking engagements, and committee work are encouraged and will be taken into consideration.
General guidelines include:
- Current members of the AUA council shall not be eligible for selection.
- Eligible nominees are members of the AUA and are in good standing.
- Initial nominations are reviewed by the corresponding advisory board. Recommendations are then submitted to the AUA council and AUA president. Final selection is made by the AUA council.
- Documents needed:
- Application (unified application for all nominees): demographics, professional information, contributions that merit the award, narrative justification of why the candidate should be considered for the award.
- Nomination Letter or Letter of Support.
- Nominee’s CV.
- The mentoring award would also require letters of support from mentees.
IDEAL Award (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Acceptance, and Leadership Award)
Odinakachukwu Ehie, MD, FASA
University of California San Francisco
Tracey Straker, MD, MS, MPH, CBA, FASA
Professor of Anesthesiology
Vice Chair for Clinical Operations
Officer for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusivity
Montefiore Medical Center
Jeanine Wiener-Kronish, MD
Massachusetts General Hospital
Note: LAB’s Mentoring Award was not bestowed in 2022